Friday, October 8, 2010

a brave new land

The move across the country went as well as could be expected. A little over twelve hour journey after it was all said and done. I traveled from the windy city, land of gorgeous skyline and martini bars to Northeast Tennessee, land of mountains... and other southern things. It's such a challenge for a city boy like myself to adjust to this environment. I'm not exactly referring to the temperature and weather, my references are a little closer to describing culture. It's almost like culture shock again, getting used to the differences. I've lived in the south before. Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, and Florida are some of the other states I've resided in. So it shouldn't be such a surprise all over again. Of course I'm still working in retail sales, so the change in clientele is drastic. I went from the Chicago ghetto customers to the backwoods mountain customers. Needless to say the customer's needs are very different. So I adjust again from living free and on my own to with my parents, and from Shiny City Living to Country Home Living. I'm still learning to accept change. In many ways I love change, but in many others it raises fears in my heart. I remind myself of one of my favorite sayings... It's not always summer, seasons change and we must change with them. So here's to growing in a new season. I will keep going to Starbucks, reading my books, and writing my words. I'm just looking at mountains out the windows and not that skyline that I miss so much tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment